Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Tear Vial

(source)

I have always been a "cry baby",  "sensitive",  "in touch with my emotions".  In fact it has been one character trait that I have actively tried to change. I shared society's equation of tears = weakness.  Far too often I rapidly brushed tears from my face in fear of what someone thought.  Today I came across a beautiful verse.  Psalm 56:8 KJV- "Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?"  The imagery in this verse is so powerful.  But to appreciate it fully you have to understand the context in which it was written.  In this verse David was praying to God.  In that time the use of a  tear vial or Lacrimosa was a custom widely practiced, especially in Rome and Egypt. Tears were collected in times of mourning and placed in burial tombs as signs of respect.  Can you believe God holds our tears so dear that he saves them.  He has a special vial dedicated to our tears and he even has a book recording the accounts. Our tears are that sacred and powerful.  Have you ever been so hurt, so broken that all you can do is cry?  Do you remember a time you lay prostrate before God and wept?  I do.  I am so blessed by this verse and in the knowledge that my crying wasn't in vain.  It was not a sign of weakness or being substandard.  Do you remember the woman in Luke that washes Jesus' feet with her tears? Luke 7:38 KJV.  How sacred must our tears be?  Let's not forget tears of joy.  Or the tears shed when we get overcome with God's presence.  Tears = strength. ♥


I love the message in this song.  Especially the lyrics..."what if your healing comes through tears." Blessing by Laura Song.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...