Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dystonic Ramblings: Quest for Alternative Therapies

Hello once again friends!  I really have to get on the ball here!  It's been over a week since my last post and I am so excited to share with you an update! A few months ago, I introduced you all to Dystonia and shared my interview with the media in this post.  Last week I shared with you all the fact that I have a very important decision to make in the near future.   I have seriously been contemplating taking a leap of faith and getting Deep Brain Stimulation.  This is a MAJOR life decision and I take it so serious.  Having  prayed about it, I  have also decided to be proactive and try alternative therapies in the meantime.  Now I promised my sweet Titi Provi, that I wouldn't try any "Holistic Crap" and I am certainly not going down the wayside. I have weaned myself off of a lot of meds that were making me weaker according to my neuro.  I am starting to feel a bit like my old vibrant self, and that has me "cheesing" from ear to ear!   I have had quite a lot less dystonic flare ups, and when I do the duration is nearly not as long as usual.

Okay here are the deets!  Oh, do I hope my Dystonic Storms do not return with a vengeance.....Anyhoo. Well after doing a lot of research and reading medical journals, I stumbled upon some very interesting finds.  Sort of like striking gold...well at least to me. My first awesome find was a  website called Earth Clinic.   This site is chock full of natural home remedies for all types of maladies.  After browsing through some forum topics I became intrigued with the concept of oil pulling.  Oil pulling is a traditional Indian folk remedy that includes swishing oil in the mouth to remove toxins.  Here's a link to the oil pulling forum page. Please check it out!
Well I was full of toxins and figured what's the hurt in swishing with natural oils, so I gave it a try.  It has been almost 2 weeks and have been oil pulling daily upon rising.  I use EVOO and try to swish for 10 minutes without activating my gag reflex.  At first it was a little challenging but after a few days it became easier and the oil is actually pleasant on the palate.  I immediately noticed my teeth were whiter and seemed stronger.  My gums and tongue are a bright pink color.....bonus points!  Lately I have been dealing with sinus congestion and shortly after giving this a try, my sinuses began to drain and relieve my headaches.  I have also noticed that I have been sleeping like a baby and have much more energy, (which may be a result of not taking my muscle relaxants).   Ok, as for cons, I have broken out with several rashes on my legs which I have read is a result of toxins leaving the body.  The rashes went away after about a day and recur occasionally, no biggie.   So for me Oil Pulling is great and my family will continue to incorporate it into our daily routine.   Another remedy I stumbled upon is the consumption of massive amounts of carrot juice to keep dystonic activity at bay.  I will have to review this at a later time, after giving it a go for more than a month.  I do know that I will not consume as much carrot juice because I am trying to avoid too much Vitamin A in my diet, still worth a try though.  Finally I have commited  to change my diet. I have decided to cook with Coconut oil after watching this video about it's benefits.  It's amazing! Also after reading tons of medical journals I have found out that my dystonia may be a result of my body not metabolizing protein as well.  I am not a medical authority, but I am still being proactive and trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together for my own well being.  I have decided to try the PKU diet, which is basically a low protein high veggie diet...Oy Vey do I love me some protein!!!  But I would really love to drastically see a change in my dystonia and not have to succumb to drastic measures to be well.  Well that's all for today folks!  As always God is Good!  I know that if it is His will to heal me it will be done and I will be sure to give Him all the praise! If I must live with this, I will also be sure to give Him all of the praise and continue to advocate for a cure, and fight the good fight! 


Friends thanks for letting me share my journey with you!  My inspiration comes from so many of you all that share your journeys with me and encourage me to remain faithful, strong in spirit and it's absolutely a wonderful blessing!!! Ciao for now!!!!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Inda Nila,
    May God bless you in your pursuit of health and vitality. I haven't read all of your posts but have you tried a gluten free ketogenic diet? The following books are excellent resources:
    "Dangerous Grains" by James Braly & Ron Hoggan
    & "The Perfect Health Diet" by Paul Jaminet
    Wishing you all the best....Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi my son 3 yrs old & suffering from dystonia shud i try giving him coconut oil will it help

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...