Sheesh, just when you have a good thing going, folks wanna know what the secret recipe is.....just kiddin! I am so happy to oblige my fellow novice bakers with my "secret" recipe which is actually no secret at all! Now don't get used to all of this happy go lucky sharing....one day I would like to finally make some MOOLAH with this baking stuff. In the meantime, I will share one of my most requested cupcakes, especially from the kiddos. If you love banana bread, you will LOVE this moist, delicate cupcake that will tantalize your tastebuds. Last summer I was looking for kid friendly cupcake recipes to add to my farmer's market menu. Finding lots of great recipes was not the problem, I wanted to tweak them and make them my own. So after some trial and lots of ERROR, I had a winner. Now you will too. You guys are sooooo lucky!
Banana Split Cupcake
Yield: 18 Super duper cupcakes!!!
1/2 Cup shortening
1 and 1/2 Cup sugar
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Cup mashed overripe banana
1/4 Cup buttermilk
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Teaspoon baking powder
3/4 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup unsalted butter
2 and 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons milk
2/3 Cup dark chocolate
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
4-6 Tablespoons water
Multi-color sprinkles, nonpareils
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Slowly add eggs, vanilla, banana and buttermilk. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to banana mixture.
- Fill cupcake wrappers about 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Frosting-While cupcakes are cooling, combine powdered sugar, butter and milk until a smooth consistency for frosting.
- Chocolate Sauce- Place chocolate in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until chocolate is completely melted. Combine powdered sugar and add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until sauce is at a pouring consistency. Let sauce cool.
- Assembly- With a large piping tip ( I use the 1A size for this) and pastry bag, pipe 1/2 of the frosting beginning from center of cupcake to outer edges. Place cupcakes in freezer for about 15 minutes for frosting to harden. After chocolate sauce is cool, dip cupcakes in sauce and rim with sprinkles or nonpareils. Return cupcakes to freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Fill pastry bag with remaining frosting with a large star tip and pipe swirls on cupcakes. Top with maraschino cherry and banana chip.
Tips: Here are some extra tips to make your cupcakes outstanding.
- First of all, have your eggs at room temperature when baking.
- I use a ice cream scoop to get cupcakes that are all the same size.
- Baste cupcakes with simple syrup before frosting. Combine water and sugar in a 1:1 ratio and boil, let cool.
- If you do not have buttermilk, you can substitute with regular milk combined with a tablespoon of white vinegar. Let it sit for about ten minutes so it can begin to curdle.
- You can also make this cupcake with butter rather than shortening, I prefer the texture the shortening achieves.
- Lastly you can find banana chips in your local grocery either in the chip aisle or near the dried fruits.
Well you absolutely must give this recipe a try, you will not be disappointed! Happy Baking!!! Here's my Amazon Store filled with baking must haves. Click here!!!