Thursday, December 15, 2011

Where'd my Christmas Spirit go?!

Well I still haven't "Christmas-fied" my house yet.  Last week my children's grandmother and mother figure to me passed away after being ill for a very long time.  I haven't really been in the "Christmas Spirit" between this and just not feeling 100%.   I sat here and thought about all the things I learned from her, the things she enjoyed and pondered what she would want me to do.  It wasn't really hard.  She really loved Christmas.  Every year we thought out the details of our Christmas trees and she would come over and give my tree "the once over".  I remember one year I came home and she totally redid my tree to my surprise.  At first I felt kind of bad but it didn't take me long to see she had an eye for design and her version was much better than mine.  She really focused on the children and making their Christmas happy and although she was ill and on a very fixed income always made the children's Christmas magical.  So now I have been passed the baton and my mind has been reeling with ways to really enjoy Christmas this year and do so frugally.

Last night my dear husband and I piled the children in the truck, hot cocoa and Redbull in hand to see a live nativity.  A local church here Deep Creek Baptist Church had an awesome drive through depiction of the Christmas Story;  live animals, angels in the trees, carolers, petting zoo.  It was an awesome way to begin to get in the "Christmas Spirit".  I can't believe it but I am also considering getting a real Christmas tree, ( sidenote- buy some more Benadryl) simply to have the "experience" with the kiddos.  Let's not forget reindeer food, Christmas pajamas delivered by "Santa" on Christmas Eve., baking and decorating Christmas cookies, Spiced Caramel Apple Cider (recipe to come) and whatever else comes our way.  Well friends I guess I better get my home all "Spruced" up.  Ciao!

5 comments:

  1. All you need is a home full of love and that will certainly do the trick :). Hot apple cider and hot cocoa. That sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun trip ~ you will get some Christmas spirit closer to Xmas ~ Happy Holidays to you and your family ~ namaste, Carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by friends!!!! Happy Holidays to you both as well!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine. I hope you are able to find a way through this tough time. Thanks for stopping by, I'm now following back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss. I can certainly relate, though my loss isn't nearly as new as yours. Christmas was absolutely my Mom's #1 holiday, and she went all out to make it special for us every year. So it's a bittersweet season for me now - pulling out all the Christmas decorations and their associated memories of Mom always gets me a little weepy....but it also makes me feel more connected to Mom and I love imagining her looking down and smiling on all the traditions she created for us. Hang in there, and good luck with that live tree! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...