Thursday, November 10, 2011

Lavender Cupcakes.......Que Rico!!!!





Today you guys are in for a rare treat!!!!  I am going to share with you a recipe for a simply divine cupcake!!!  This summer I met some of the greatest people on God's green Earth, and most of them were my farmer's market vendor neighbors.  The Hardy's from the Hardy Family Farm blessed me with free sunflowers for my wedding, the Savage's from www.acornhillfarms.net blessed us by allowing us to share their unused canopy until one was available for us and fresh produce every time we were there.  Another family establishment www.blackwaterlavender.com blessed us with culinary grade Lavender buds. Can we say God's favor people!!!!  Well, not being a fan of the scent of lavender I wasn't so enthused initially to experiment with the buds, but a blessing is a blessing so I had to figure something out.  My mind began to reel and I decided to use them in cupcakes, why not, right?    Well I cheated you guys.  I usually make all of my cupcakes from scratch but this one I wanted to be pure white and  I knew only one recipe for a pure white cake.  Years ago when I began baking I found a recipe for White Almond Sour Cream Cake on Cake Central,  http://cakecentral.com/recipes/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe/ So I tweaked it a bit and was in love.  This cupcake is light and airy with a subtle scent and taste of lavender throughout. Enjoy foodies, you deserve it!!!

Lavender Cupcakes

1 box of white cake mix
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of lavender buds
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of sour cream
1 cup of water
3 large eggs at room temp
1 teaspoonful of pure vanilla
1 teaspoonful of pure almond extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
With a food processor pulse lavender buds and sugar until a fine consistency.
In a separate bowl combine cake mix, flour, and salt. I prefer to sift my dry ingredients, (force of habit).
Combine remaining ingredients.  Beat for 2 minutes at a medium speed and your batter is done. Easy Peasy!!!  I usually use a cookie or ice cream scoop to portion out my batter for a uniform size cupcake.  Bake for 24-28 minutes.  When a toothpick comes out clean you are done.  After cupcakes cool completely frost them with your favorite Icing.  I am a sucker for Swiss Merengue Butter cream but we'll save that recipe for another day.

P.S.  I baste all of my cupcakes with simple syrup.  Simply bring sugar and water at a ratio of 1:1 to a boil and there you have it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...